Friday, February 23, 2007

First job

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

We all remember our first job don't we? I'm guessing that for most it was probably a paper round, like the memory posted below. What was the reason for the job in the first place, can you remember? A new bike, or toy? Our parents encouraged us to earn a bit of our own money and I remember it felt like I would never get enough money for the new bike I was after....

Rave

“My first job was a paper-round. I didn’t particularly enjoy it but I got really good tips at Christmas time. I think it helped that I knew most of the people I delivered to anyway, and so the tips weren’t that bad really.

There was this one occasion there had been a rave in area the night before. I was obviously too young to go to such a thing but there had been a fair bit of chat about it in the area – mainly voices of concern against the whole thing you know? The whole “bad influence”, “drugs” and such like – in those days all adults tied drugs into every event imaginable – even taking a bus into town could mean meeting people selling or pushing drugs. I‘m sure I’m not the only one with that recollection of parents at that time.

So I was walking down the road going to work the day after the Rave and I kept coming across all this rubbish and all sorts on the streets. It ranged from water bottles and crisp packets to odd socks and used condoms. I couldn’t wuite get my head around the sondoms really. Not that I looked closely, but I could tell they’d been used, but why were they in the middel of the road. Not exactly a quiet road either and not so close to the Rave venue. Did someone use it, keep it and then discard it later? Did they mean to take it along with them, in its used state, or did it cling to some clothing? Not sure really if the answer to that is something much more obvious that I haven’t got yet!

Asides from this crap on the street though there was also a hell of a lot of lager too. All these cans and bottles just lying there, all inviting. They were all unopened too!

Of course, being fifteen and not legally of age to drink (ha, ha!) this lager, its just asking me to pick it up and drink it– isn’t it?!

So that’s exactly what I did. I took as much as I could carry back to my house – about a dozen cans all in I think, which I put down to having long, gangly arms and the sheer will of the moment! Then I “stashed” them in the shed so’s my Dad wouldn’t find them.

Then I turned round and went on and did my paper-round. As I was going round the houses I kept hearing people complaining about the mess in the streets, the amount of people and noise there had been, blah, blah, blah. I just kept smiling to myself about the find I’d made. Who really cared about the rest of it – I missed the whole thing, slept like a log and none of it impacted me in any way. I just thought they were a bunch of moaners really!

The next weekend, me and a couple of my friends stayed over at one of their houses, “sans” parents. This was the perfect chance to make the most of the stash from the Rave – no parents to ask questions, raise eyebrows or lay down the rules. So we drank about half of those beers in secret .

Do you know it felt, looking back on it, like such a major thing at the time. The lager being “found”, the secrecy of the drinking, the underage bit, all of it. We felt quite carefree and a bit drunk if I remember. We can only have had about three or four a piece but it was enough. Those were the days eh?”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Хитро щурюсь, сопоставляя факты…* [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-domov.html]независимый строительный портал[/url]