Friday, September 08, 2006

First time you moved house

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

What a long week its been. I've been away on a course, one of those where you had to stay up half the night doing preparation for the following day. Not so productive I feel when all you want to do is surl up in bed. At least it was a nice venue - somewhere in deepest Warwickshire I think - a big old fashioned castle in its previous days, but unfortunately with a few modern extensions added on (spoiling the look a little).

I find that when I'm away on these things that I miss my own bed. Probably true of most people I'd guess - you wake up in a strange bed with a sore back, wishing you could be at home on the comfort of your own mattress. That good old mattress that you lugged with you from home to home.

A couple of good friends of ours told us recently about when they moved house . It can be a traumatic time – in fact it's listed as one of the top ten life events that cause most stress. Most people can remember this one – whether it’s the aches and pains of packing and moving all your worldly possessions yourself or if the removal men were of the usual standard (gruff, big, and moan a lot!). Did anything get “left behind”, damaged? Did the mattress make it there without being torn or soaked wet with rain? What about the new pace you moved to? What state had it been left in?

One bed or two?

“My girlfriend and I were moving into the flat we’re in now. There was loads of help that day, all relatives and friends helping with the loading and unloading – we didn’t need removal men.

My Mum was getting in the way – she didn’t want to lift heavy things and wasn’t sure where things should go when unpacked. But she did want to help. So my girlfriend suggested she go and make the beds for us.

Now at this point we didn’t have a lot of money and we were sleeping in two single beds pushed together. As soon as my Mum saw this, I bet she was over the moon! We weren’t married yet you see, and it wouldn’t be right for us to be “sharing a bed” yet.

When we went to bed that night, we noticed that she had moved the furniture. When it was put in, the bedside tables were on either side of the “bed”. She’s come in, moved the tables and each bed was separated by a table!

We were too exhausted to move them round again that night and spent our first night, not as Mum would have liked it, both of us in a single bed!”

No comments: