Wednesday, October 25, 2006

First day at school

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

This is a tough one for me I'll admit. I have no recollection of my first day of school. I've seen a photo of me in my uniform, standing next to my brother (who was a year older than me) on what was supposedly my first day at school, but I have absolutely no memory of the day itself. I can remember other things - the classrooms, the spelling books, the teachers and some good memories of the annual water fight.

I went to primary school in Balbeggie, a small village about five miles out of Perth in Scotland. A country school, it had three classrooms when I was there, all full. Sadly I believe its down to one class and one teacher. I don't think they do the water fight at the end of the summer term any more. It might have been something to do with a pupil standing on a rusty nail in bare feet as I recall....but those were the good old days!!

(a note on the link to Balbeggie above - there is very little out there on the web about Balbeggie - this is a page in a site I found which was created by the Church of all places)

Here is a memory of a friend of mine - she has great recollection of events in her early childhood.

Primary pet

“I remember my first day at Primary school actually. I got away at twelve thirty which I thought was great. I thought that was what it would be like all the time! But no, just a week or so I think.

I had a wee brown rucksack, satchel thing – remember those? They were really soft buckle straps and faded really well. Cool bags those!.

I remember the first teacher too – her name was Miss Mckay. She was lovely. She used to get me to help her pass out the jotters and collect them in, because I could already read and write – that was my Dad’s fault! I was a quick and eager learner! I had learned to read and write when I was three and had gone to school when I was four.

Miss McKay got married when we were in Primary two. I remember we were all asking why she was being wheeled about the corridors and playground in a trolley!"

No comments: