Saturday, October 07, 2006

First time you went on holiday without your parents

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

Just back from a week in sunny Barcelona with David. We had a great time. Just wandered around looking at the sites, drinking beers on the street pavements and watching the world go by. It was our 10th wedding anniversary last week so we thought we'd mark this one with an occasion. We even ordered champagne with our meal - a first for us! We've only ever had champagne when someone has given it to us as a gift or a thank-you or has been bought by our parents. Does this mean we've grown up!

Do you remember the first time you went on holiday without your parents? Things never seemed to go wrong when your parents were around to direct you to the right check-in desk and the gate. You always got to the hotel without a hitch and back to the airport in plenty time to catch your flight. Simple. So does the fact you are the one responsible for all of that necessarily mean something will go wrong.....

Take me to "what's it called?"

"I had booked a holiday to Austria for myself and my boyfriend on the internet. Booking separate flights and hotel was much cheaper than going through a brochure. I suppose the only slag is all the bits of paper you then need to print out and keep. I'm still never sure which bits of paper I'll be asked for if referencing something booked over the web, and so I tend to take everything.

We'd arrived at the airport in Austria and headed to the taxi rank. I looked over at Andrew and asked what the name of the hotel was and the street name. "I don't know" he said, "you've got the details". Of course I did, I always take charge of that kind of thing. I opened the hand luggage but oh God, I couldn't find it. No idea where it was. I searched every pocket in the bags and turned up nothing. We didn't even remember the name of the hotel for sure, let alone any reference number! "Shit, what are we going to do?"

Fortunately I had a flash of inspiration. As it was the afternoon, and only a one hour time difference to the UK, we'd call Andrew's Mum. She is one of those internet savvy Mum's. Thank goodness. Not many of my friends parents go near a computer - its all a bit foreign and scary and are quite happy getting on with their lives when the the rest of the world links up over something called "www".

So we rang her, asked her to go onto such and such a website. We were even able to describe the search and the bitmap picture of the hotel. Then we had to hang up and give her twenty minutes before calling back. Meanwhile we had a nailbiting wait over a beer.

I kept thinking we'd end up having to book another hotel and lose the money on the first one - an expensive option I admit, but on the bright side, I kept saying to myself, we'd have a hotel room at least. We wouldn't have to go homeless or get a flight home. That was how I kept putting it over to Andrew, who was still in utter disbelief and kept mumbling, "I can't believe this is happening" . Is this something all men are programmed to say in these types of situations? Those rare times when they feel helpless in a situation that was caused by a women. They just don't go into practical mode like us women do they?

But thank goodness Andrew's Mum found the details on the web. We had the name of the hotel at least. So we got a taxi there, a bit frazzled, and they let us check in, even without the reference number. What a nice bunch in that hotel.

Inevitably I did find the paperwork after we got back - not in the house as you might have thought, but in the suitcase front pocket! We had it all along, that whole time! Why I had put it there when the case was in the hold of the plane and could have been stolen, I don't know. All I can say in my defence is that it must have felt sensible at the time!

I learned something from that trip and others since. I think my memory is getting worse as I get older, so I now try to stop myself packing for a holiday a week before we go - it's hard I admit, but it means I have less time to pack the important things like money, cards and passports in "safe" places for too long that my memory fails me when I try to remember where they are."

No comments: