Monday, October 16, 2006

First time you were told about the birds and the bees

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

So Madonna is adopting a baby. Its all over the news and of course everyone has an opinion. Mine? Well personally I can see both sides of the argument, but lean slightly to Madonna's side. She's giving baby David a chance in life and his father has publically stated he thinks this is the best chance for his son, given the poverty in his own country. I understand the arguments the charities have put forward too. Yes, if poverty is part of the child's culture, perhaps the money would be better spent in another way. I'd like to think though that the child's best interests have been considered and I'm sure Madonna will ensure David is well informed about his roots at an appropriate age. Its a hot topic which I'm sure will rage on as long as the press want it to.

So its a tenuous link to my next memory. The "birds and the bees". Anyone remember how they found out about that whole mystery...?

I have to admit I have no recollection of when I was told, who told me or where I was at the time. I like to think I've blocked it out because it was either so scary for me to have heard or that I was just so at ease with it all it wasn't worth remembering.

Is it even called "the birds and the bees" any more? What about "the facts of life" - that sounds worse, not just old fashioned but more scientific. Hell, there are more "facts of life" these days than sex, just ask Professor Stephen Hawking.

I think these memories will be different depending on if you're male or female. Is the expectation that girls find out before boys because they get periods, or do the boys find out first because they are more nosey and chat more about that kind of thing in school? There's probably an element of school ground gossip to it all anyway.

I think this is one memory where the experience will have changed over the generations don’t you? I shiver at the age young kids are being taught about sex these days.

The machine

“I was ten years old. I remember I was on a skiing trip with my parents and sisters. I had gone to the toilets with my Mum and was waiting for her at the sinks when she came out of the cubicle. I asked her there and then:
“Mum what’s a Durex machine for?” (she pronounced it "Durr" like it rhymed with "fur").

“It's pronounced Durex and we’ll talk about it later” (the emphasis on "Dur" like it rhymed with "pure").

Later that night I asked again. She couldn’t really get out of it. She explained to me about the birds and the bees and about contraceptives – she is a nurse and so you’d expect a high standard!. All I remember thinking was why anyone would want to blow up a balloon and fit it on their “bits”!

TV teacher

“It was a taboo thing in my house. I must have been thirteen or fourteen years old when something about sex came on the TV or was being discussed on TV. My Mum had come into the room and said “did you get taught this at school? Do you want me to buy you a book or something?” I think she was quite embarrassed. Maybe I should have asked what the “or something” was, but I never, I just said that yes, I had been taught about it at school and not to worry.”

3 comments:

linja said...

In the 4th year of my Primary School we had twin girls (they also lived down my road). One day around the school dinner table they had a lurid tale about when we are ladies we will have loads of blood and have to have something like sanitry (that it what they said TOWERS. To say we were shocked would be putting it mildly but we all agreed that this was complete and utter nonsense. A few weeks later as I had been having so minor illnesses our family GP told my mum to explain 'periods' which she did later that evening. I was shocked but at least it sounded ok. I went into school and told my friend "You know what C and M told us, well it sort of is true, but not the towers part".

Rach said...

Excellent story linja - its amazing what nonsence we can come out with as kids - especially when we don't know what we're talking about! Nice memory.
Rach

Rory said...

I grew up in a village where just about everyone knows everyone. In senior school a local nurse, who was also a friend's mother, came in to give a rather graphic sex education lesson which involved putting johnnies on bananas. Being grotty wee boys we took the wrappers and afterwards dropped them into unsuspecting juniors' pockets. I am sure their denials of all knowledge fell on deaf ears when their mothers found them!

In fairness the joke was also on me and I had my school bag under my seat during the lesson. Most of the johnnies strangely disappeared only to reappear over the next week, falling out from the pages of my various text books at the start of each class.

Many, many years on the nurse's husband is now a client and I cannot look at him without the seeing the image of his wife waving round a diaphragm!!